MISER in Detail
Theoretically, the best electric vehicles would be electric hydraulic hybrids and MISER would offer more efficient regenerative braking abilities along with launch assist ability, thereby reducing peak battery loads and improving battery life.
MISER is inherently more eﬃcient than its hydraulic hybrid competitors for at least two main reasons:
– At most times, MISER is a dual-path system where only a portion of the energy ﬂows through the hydraulic path.
– Even in the hydraulic path, there is only one hydraulic unit and it is not a full hydrostatic drive.
The MISER transmission is a compound-type hybrid drive. This means that in some modes it is a series system, where the engine can charge the storage system with energy for later use; in other modes it is a parallel system, where the energy is delivered from the engine, or the storage system (or a combination of both) to the ﬁnal drive. This depends on which of the 13 modes the control system selects for the MISER-HTS version. Under certain conditions, the operator of the vehicle will also be able to change options.
The MISER System can be summarised as a:
– fully automated
– inﬁnitely variable
– dual energy path
– engine optimising
– performance enhancing
– regenerative braking transmission.
MISER system can be installed in one of two ways. The ﬁrst option (recently made available to the marketplace) can be described is MISER-HKS and involves the ﬁtment of the energy-recovery components and partial engine optimization abilities. This installation type is called the Hybrid Kinetic Energy Recovery System, or HKS for short. Benefits are both regenerative braking and engine optimisation.
The second option (MISER-HTS) involves the replacement of the vehicle’s original gearbox as well as the ﬁtment of the Hybrid Kinetic Energy Recovery system. This is called the Hybrid Transmission System, or HTS for short. Several additional advantages are included, such as a speed summing mode which provides additional, significant savings, specifically advantageous in highway type driving cycles.
The MISER Hydraulic Hybrid Transmission is an enabling technology for existing petrol, diesel and electric vehicles, with broad market applications. After driving the proof of technology in our development vehicle, we are very conﬁdent in our design and its results.
– The market needs our solution. The world has set itself emissions and eﬃciency goals and MISER can most eﬀectively address not only the automotive sector, but other applications where internal-combustion engines are used. The implementation of MISER should add no cost to a new vehicle. Considering the savings to the vehicle owners and rebates oﬀered to manufacturers by governments, this most certainly has the potential to be a very eﬀective and proﬁtable solution.
– Retroﬁtting MISER to heavy trucks should cost no more than a new replacement gearbox, and the ROI could be as quick as nine months.
– MISER is a complementary technology to electrical vehicles, providing real benefits and improved efficiencies to both the vehicle’s performance and range, as well as improving the batteries charge cycles.
– The MISER technology can be expanded to very large transport such as trains, and can also be used in areas such as grid, solar and wind power.
– The MISER system is a very exciting project that uses technology with significant environmental benefits.